Sunday, October 12, 2008

Thumbsucking.....


Do I love it or hate it? When I look at Isabel's overbite I hate thumbsucking. But last night Sophie slept through the night. When I woke up at 7am and she was still sleeping. I peered into her crib and she was sucking her thumb. I was happy and sad all at the same time. I have kept a binki in her mouth since the second she was born hoping that she would take to it instead of her thumb. Maybe it was all in vain. She has been sucking on her hands a lot lately, I guess she has been in search of something better than her binki.

When Isabel was a baby she was very colicy. She would cry all day long. I tried everything, but nothing would calm her. My Aunt Pat told me her best babies were thumbsuckers. So I gave Isabel her thumb. I kept putting her thumb in her mouth until she could do it herself. She slept through the night at 6 weeks. It was the only thing that kept me sane. Well now 6 years later I have a dental nightmare on my hands. On our last trip to the dentist he told me he has only seen one overbite worse that Isabel's caused from thumbsucking. He said on a scale from 1 to 10, her's is a 10. And not a good 10.

If anyone has any good tips on getting someone to stop sucking their thumb I would love to hear about it. I have tried everything. The problem is she only sucks it at night. Not even to get to sleep. Only in the middle of the night when she is asleep. My pediatrician said that peir pressure is the best way to get a child to stop, but I am sure she is not getting much pressure from her pillow or stuffed animals to do any good.

Anyway on a good note I got a full night's sleep. Thank you Sophie! I guess I will just have to keep good dental or should I say orthodontic insurance!!!


What a cutie!!!

She loves bath time.

I love to smile :)

Look at me I'm a big girl!

4 comments:

craziern said...

The dentist told Jessica that sucking their thumb or a binki is OK until thier permanent teeth come in. One Step Ahead has a guard you can put on the thumb, it might help Izzy stop the middle of the night sucking.

Anonymous said...

Heather, what a darling little girl. She's almost as cute as you were at her age. Love Dad

*Welcome To Crazy* said...

She's getting big fast!! If you do end up needing orthodontist care down the road, I know a pretty cool ortho assistant that you might be interested in :)

Anonymous said...

mum I have something better than her binky she can suck she gets fed at the same time too!