Sunday, November 16, 2008

ISABEL


We met with the neurosurgeon and Isabel will be having surgery. The surgery is a Chiari Decompression (CLICK ON THE WORD FOR A DESCRIPTION). We will be doing this the 8th of December. Ben and I really liked the neurosurgeon, Dr. Brockmeyer. I have been a wreck after each doctor's appointment, but not this one. I feel very confident with Dr. Brockmeyer's ability to help Isabel. It is still scary, and there may be future surgeries and definitely more MRI's (at 6K a pop, nice huh, thank god for insurance) and x-rays. Isabel seems a little nervous, but I try to help her focus on the fun part of this: new pj's for her and her build-a-bear, and planning a day of fun before her surgery. The doctor told us the first two days following the surgery will be ROUGH. But after that she will get better quickly. The good news is she doesn't have to shave her head. I was worried about that. Another benefit is I now have a very difficult time telling her "NO". She pretty much gets what ever she wants. Last week I let her stay up until 10:30 on a school night watching the disney channel. She loves watching The Suite Life, Hannah Montana, The Wizards of Waverly Place, etc. It is amazing how something like this really changes how you look at your kids. I need to slow down and enjoy them more. Who cares if the floors are vacuumed or if the dishes are done. It is important to enjoy every moment.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! I am glad that you have found such a wonderful doctor. What a brave little girl you have! Let me know if I can help with Kya and Sophie. I know it will be a rough time. Your family is in my prayers!
Love,
Carrie

Unknown said...

Hey! That picture of Isabel is at the haunted train!

The Duncan Family said...

Don't worry, I would be a wreck also! Good luck with this.

Anonymous said...

Who are you kidding Heather. You have a hard time telling any of your kids no. Love Dad

The Halls said...

Happy Birthday!! Hope all goes well with Isabel.

Pays said...

What a tough little girl. We will be thinking of all of you. I know everything will go well, it is the fear of the unknown that is the kicker. Please let us know if there is anything we can do. Hey and p.s.- I still have a hard time telling mine he can't do something- he's 4!!!

craziern said...

I am home on the 8th if you need any babysitting help.

Andersen Family said...

You're in my prayers. Good running into you the other morning. Take care